Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Vs. Wishiwashi

I think that Wishiwashi and Magikarp are pokemon that are diametrically opposed.  Magikarp is a weak pokemon that, through trial and struggle, eventually achieves something great.  The pokemon is based on the Chinese legend of the koi that swims up the waterfall and leaps through the dragon gate to achieve enlightenment and become a dragon itself.  Magikarp is an individual out to prove itself to the world.

Wishiwashi is a fish that is weak and timid and small.  In these ways, it has a lot in common with Magikarp.  However, Magikarp achieves strength for itself through tenacity; Wishiwashi achieves strength by working together with others of its species.

One thing I didn't know about the pokemon is that they have an ability called "Schooling".  This allows the pokemon to call upon others to work with it.  The pokemon then becomes one giant, powerful school of fish--capable of attacking with much greater power than any single one of them could.  See that wishiwashi pic up there? That's the little sardine in its "school form".
Vs. Wishiwashi: Experimental Uncertainty
Wishiwashi-School Form in the rain is probably the sort of match that I wouldn't want to be caught up in for long.  I wasn't exactly sure of what kinds of moves the pokemon would have, but anything with "Water" in the title would end up scoring an extra 50% damage in the weather...and 50% more for matching Wihiwashi's water typing.

This match was going to hurt.

I had decided to lead with Sludj because I wanted to start the match out with Poison.  Really every match should be started with poison.  That's a philosophy of mine.

After Wishiwashi called for help, I made sure to spread the pestilence to the second pokemon in the same way.  All totem pokemon boost their defenses in battle, so I wanted to stay off the offensive for as much of the match as possible.  I decided to stick to stall.  I traded protect's for a few moves to ensure that the poison could weaken the two opponents.  Ultimately, though, Water Gun in the rain was too much for Grimer and the totem Wishiwashi KO'ed Sudj.

Wishiwashi is a pokemon that works well as a team.  The two Wishiwashi on the field--one in its solo form and one in its school form--were in perfect synchronicity.  With all those Helping Hand moves being thrown about, I needed to remove the supporting fish from the field.  Helping Hand + Rain + School form + STAB Water Gun could easily remove every pokemon in my team.  I sent in Ori-chan.  I needed a quick win and Air Cutter is a spread move.  Air Cutter would damage both opponents.

And Ori-chan is fast.  Really fast.

With its support quickly removed, the totem Wishiwashi was unable to KO Oricorio as handily.  It was the precision strike that ended the match at that critical moment in battle.  My victory came three turns later.


No comments:

Post a Comment