Sunday, December 11, 2016

Vs. Salazzle

I wanted a challenge, so I had decided to take only four pokemon with me on my run up the mountain (Editor's note: Foreboding is an adjective that means 'uninvited dread', but in this case, take it to mean 'the anticipation of disaster').  The squad that I had come up with was made up of my most reliable pokemon that have followed me around all the way from the first island.

Vs. Salazzle: The Melemele Firefighters

During the initial phases of the trial back when I was playing "is there a hiker in this photo", I had been subjected to a few surprise battles.  The first was against that fire-dancing Marowak.  The second was against the Hiker himself.  These matches, while not difficult, had taken their toll on my lead Grimer.  Indeed, Sludj was forced to enter battle with the totem Salazzle with only 13 HP remaining.
"You Toxic bitch, you"

Because I own a Salandit, I already knew how fast the totem pokemon was, so I knew that Grimer wouldn't last very long.  One Flame Burst later and it was now a 3-on-1 match: 3-on-2 once Salazzle summoned Salandit as its partner.

This did not bode well.

I reassessed and found that, while Crabrawler was a good choice against a fire type, the dual Poison/Fire Salazzle/Salandit combo meant that the crustacean would be at a disadvantage.  Fighting moves are weak against the poison type.  I sent it in and attempted to whittle down the supporting Salandit with Bubblebeam.

It was then that the enemy duo revealed their master strategy.  Venoshock is a niche move amongst Poison Pokemon Trainers.  It has a base power of 60 damage under normal circumstances, but a base power of 120 if the opponent is afflicted by poison.  Salazzle knew Toxic.  Salandit knew Venoshock.  Because both opponents were faster than any of my underleveled pokemon, I lost my next two without even scoring a hit.  Salazzle would use Toxic, Sanandit would use Venoshock, and my pokemon would be knocked-off in one hit.

The only pokemon that even had a chance was Pako Pako, who miraculously survived Venoshock.  My partner retaliated with its Hydro Vortex Z-move!!

Salazzle surprised me with its strength.  It clung on and survived (barely) the ultimate water move.

And thus it was that foreboding became foreshadowing.  I was given my first loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment