Saturday, December 3, 2016

Gladion's Entrance

Editor's Note: Due to a clerical error, this draft was recalled and then resubmitted.  I apologize for the error.

Much of the past four o so hours that I have devoted to this game has been devoted to me running around in a very specific patch of grass on Route 3 back on Melemele Island like an idiot.  Only in pokemon could such behavior not be classified as absolute madness.  It changed from night to day in my game over the course of this timeframe.  The cause of this insanity?  Bagon.
______________
Continuing on my journey, I made my way through route 4.  One thing of note is that routes seem a lot shorter in this game so far.  I suppose my most recent play through was Omega Ruby, the game which is home to some of the longest and most treacherous routes in the series, so my ability to compare may be unfair, but this has been my perception so far.  I caught Eevee, who I immediately evolved into Sylveon, and Lilipup, which I would eventually trade for a new grass pokemon called Bounsweet.  I also caught a cute mule-like pokemon called Mudsdale.

One of the trainers I fought on the way had Bagon, the Gen 3 dragon-of-choice.  Having never actually used Salamence before, I immediately checked my pokedex and found that he was available back on Melemele Island.  My decision now was whether or not I go back to catch him (I think it evolves at level 30 and 55 like Dratini does, so he would be an investment to be sure).

We both know how that would eventually transpire.

So now it's time to make some big decisions about my pokemon squad.  I'm carrying way too many for me to become reasonably attached to at the time and I need to make cuts.  I started by removing Rattata because Yungoos and Grimer made the pokemon redundant by type.  As I searched for Bagon, Yungoos had evolved into Gumshoos.  I liked it better as a cute little mongoose, so I took him out of my lineup as well.  Growlithe and Pikachu (Raichu) are pokemon that I have used recently in my Pokemon Red playthrough, so I decided to take out simply because I wanted to do something different (plus I'm planning on using Arcanine in my upcoming bid at VGC '17, so I don't want to get sick of him just yet).  My Meowth, whom I had been using as a "pickup slave" up until now, evolved into Persian.  Persian's "Fur Coat" ability, while useful, will not be getting me nearly as many free items, so this opened up another free slot on my roster.  Slowpoke was removed for the water-type redundancy I've developed.

As it stands, I have Popplio, Trumbeak, Oricorio, Crabrawler, Misdreavus, Grimer, Sylveon, and Bounsweet.  Bagon is in training until it evolves.

What a bunch of changes!
______________
I made my way past Mallow at a Pokemon ranch to towards my first Akala Island trial.  Along the way, I fought my rival again (he was easy) and eventually ran into a chap who had obviously watched too much anime.  He introduced himself only as Gladion before telling me he works jobs for Team Skull sometimes and that he battles to help his pokemon "Null" get stronger.

It seems that he is associated with, but not a true member of, the gang.  As a matter of fact, they look down on him.  One Team Skull Grunt blamed his homelessness for making him weak and scrappy.  The other said that he would never be part of their organization and that they all hate him.

Wow.

I had never thought that Pokemon 7 would be the installment in the series where they address classism and homelessness.  Gladdion is a kid about the age of the player character (maybe a bit older) with a chip on his shoulder and a life devoted to getting stronger and helping his pokemon reach new heights.  In battle, he used a strong Zubat and a pokemon that I had never seen before referred to only as Type: Null.  Yes, the colon is part of the name.

Gladdion was not an easy battle.  Zubat fell quickly enough, but I wasn't exactly sure of how to target that Type: Null.  Apparently is susceptible to poisoning and that it takes neutral damage from many types of moves including psychic, poison, and water.  Quite possibly, as the name would suggest, it is a pokemon that is without typing altogether--that it is literally type: null.

I walked away from the battle with an actual desire to meet the character again. Yes, Gladdion was something of a dick, but he had dimension.  I'm curious about how his character develops.  I'm curious about whether or not he gains the approval of Team Skull.  I'm curious about if he even actually wants it.

What was it I said about one-note characters last time I posted?

In the end, I snuck away with the win thanks to Pako Pako, who then evolved into the pokemon Brionne.

Current Squad:
Brionne/Pako Pako/lvl 17
Crabrawler/Ppunches/lvl 16
Trumbeak/Pip Pip/lvl 17
Oricorio/Ori-Chan/lvl 17
Misdreavus/Missy/lvl 16
Sylveon/Sly/lvl 17

On Rotation:
Grimer/Sludj/lvl 14
Bounsweet/Bouncee/lvl16
Bagon/Twumby/lvl 16

Pokedex: 54 caught

No comments:

Post a Comment