Wednesday, December 7, 2016

That filler anime episode where they all go to the beach

My battle with the supreme guardian of the oceans was quite underwhelming, so I was ready to be on my way towards newer and greater adventures. Captain Lana congratulated me for defeating all those poor Wishiwashi (who were just trying to get a little good 'ole fashioned revenge) and gave me gifts for my ruthlessness.  I was given Waterium-Z, which I handed directly to Pako Pako.

Lana told me to continue my challenge with Kiawe's Trial at the Wela Volcano Park.   I wonder if it's going to be a fire trial...

I was also given a fishing rod and dive balls, so you know what that means...

FISHING TRIP!!

The amount of fucking around that I do in this game is absurd.  Not since my Skyrim playthrough have I gone so out of my way to avoid progression.  I caught Magikarp, Goldeen, Feebas (yessss), and the bug/water pokemon Dewpider.  If my playthrough was adapted into an anime (I'm willing to talk, Funimation), then this would be one of those filler episodes where the main characters decide to have a sleepover (or, as the title states, go to the beach) for no reason other than to avoid doing anything of consequence.

Fishing has been changed in this game--first of all, there is only one rod, rather than separated "Old", "Good", and "Super" rods.  This is good news in terms of simplifying the gameplay.  Actually, this is good news in terms of everything.  I suppose the only ones that would be disappointed by such a change would be the players who for some reason really really like to catch level 5 Magikarp.

But fuck those weirdos, amiright?

The other change is that you can only fish in specific spots where there are piles of rocks in the water.  This is something I'm less comfortable with.  I'm not sure if I hate the change because it's bad or if I'm just reacting as a curmudgeonly old man would (because let's face it, I'm definitely a curmudgeonly old man).

My desire to avoid the quest sufficiently sated, I made my way south.  The route had been blocked by Sudowoodo previously.  Snorlax may be the ultimate in "blocked-route plot devices", but Sudowoodo is a worthy heir to this throne.  It's a tradition that goes all the way back to the first game: Snorlax blocking the bike path, Sudowoodo blocking the entrance to Ecruteak City.  Two pokemon that may have never met, and yet share a connection.  It really is quite a beautiful relationship and I'm totally shipping it and I think I've been doing quite enough rambling now.

I was also introduced to the new battle mode introduced in this generation.  Nintendo/Gamefreak, every once in a while, likes to change things up just a little and add a new mode of battle.  Typically this mode will be horrible and pointless and make you want to quit playing.  This time around is the Battle Royale.  This is a Four player free-for-all style battle that ends when any one player loses all of their pokemon.  The player with the most total KO's wins.

I love the concept!

I lost my first attempt...

Current Squad:
Brionne/Pako Pako/lvl 17
Crabrawler/Ppunches/lvl 18
Trumbeak/Pip Pip/lvl 18
Oricorio/Ori-Chan/lvl 20
Steenee/Bouncee/lvl19
Sylveon/Sly/lvl 18

On Rotation:
Grimer/Sludj/lvl 17
Misdreavus/Missy/lvl 18
Bagon/Twumby/lvl 18

Pokedex: 65 caught

No comments:

Post a Comment