Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Water

Part of the reason I always choose the water-type starter is this weird fascination I have with bulky "stall" pokemon--that is, pokemon who take hits like they are nothing and retaliate with the same predictable (albeit reliable) moves.  In the case of the "bulky water", these moves are surf, hydro pump, and ice beam (repeat).  As a result of this, I chose to lead with Gardevoir for round 2 of my pokemon gauntlet--Gardevoir has the special defense to take hits--and with calm mind, I could set-up against those very same bulky waters that always loved to set up on me...
Siebold opened the match with a pokemon called Clawitzer.  I used Charge beam, trying to test it out to see how strong his pokemon was and found that Clawitzer takes away exactly 50% of my health while I am unboosted (no Calm Mind).

This was good to know, but it meant that I was going to have to sacrifice Gardevoir initially (I wasn't going to survive long enough to set up, but one revive would fix that).  I sent-in Venusaur and Mega-Evolved to use Leech Seed and Sleep Powder while I used revive and hyper potions on Gardevoir.  Mega-V was doing so well, as a matter of fact, that I kept him in.

What happened next was nothing short of genius.

Solarbeam is a two-turn move: on turn one you gather sunlight to charge your attack and on turn two you fire the 120-damage solarbeam.  I timed my attack so that the sleeping Clawitzer died due to Leech Seed on the turn where I charged my attack and the Solarbeam hit the switch-in for the one-hit KO.  Starmie was the lucky recipient.  I have to say, this was one battling moment that I will most likely remember forever.  It is second only to the time that I predicted the move "Explosion" and switched-in my ghost-type Gengar to ignore this Normal-type attack.

I decided not to test my luck and brought-in Gardevoir on the free switch to start setting-up Calm Minds while I burned through my hyper potions keeping her alive.  The final two turns of the match were two consecutive one-hit-KO's against Gyarados and Barbaracle.
_________________
Score that match: 5-0
Hyper Potions: 21 -3
Revives: 24 -1
_________________
Current Squad Status:
GRENINJA/Froakles/lvl.56
VENUSAUR/Venus/lvl.55
FLAREON/Rox/lvl.55
LUCARIO/Knives/lvl.56
HIPPOWDON/Leviathan/lvl.55
GARDEVOIR/Missy/lvl.56

Sidelines: Pikachu, Dragalge, Scrafty, Aerodactyl

No comments:

Post a Comment