Friday, October 18, 2013

The Beginning of Pokemon Y

The start of a new journey is always the most interesting part, but if this is the best the game gets then it is enough for me.

I can already tell that this game has a lot of potential--and that it will at least be better than Diamond and Pearl versions: a decent choice of starting pokemon and character customization.

Let me start over:
----------------------------------
I recall the start of Pokemon White being something painfully dumb and after taking a few minutes to reread my blog post just now I am thankful that Nintendo decided to start this title without the melodramatic nonsense: you turn the game on and you immediately choose your name, gender, and what you look like.  Granted, the options for facial customization are PRETTY limited (you only get to choose between "blond anime kid," "brown-haired anime kid," or "dark-skinned anime kid"), but being able to play as something other than the typical "wirey Japanese kid" is fairly monumental.

I named myself "Darien" as I named my first pokemon character back in Red Version and within four minutes, I got to choose my first pokemon.  I met my character's friends in town and they asked me what nickname I wanted to have (D. Swiggy, of course) and then gave me a pokemon and a pokedex, saying that the "Professor Sycamore" told them to do this.

Basically my first pokemon might actually have been stolen.  Wouldn't it be funny if Y version was a "Team Rocket" Game?  

The choice of Starter pokemon this time around was the ridiculously cheerful grass type "Chespin", the painfully adorable fire type "Fennekin", and the type I always choose "Froakie".
Since I have chosen the water-type starter in every game barring White Version (and Red version, but we'll get to that some other time), the toss-up between Fennekin and Froakie was decided in water's favor.  I am curious about whether anyone will acutally choose Chespin.  To me Chespin looks less like a pokemon I would choose to start an adventure with, and more of a pokemon I would pick up in a forest somewhere on the way to my first gym battle and then let rot in the PC.

So I still haven't met the professor yet and may have gotten a stolen pokemon as my starter, but none of this matters because in this game YOU CAN WALK DIAGONALLY.

As a matter of fact, go back and ignore all the criticism I have so far, the diagonal walking totally makes up for it all.

Current Squad:

No comments:

Post a Comment